Plato's Academy

PHL 204

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lecture #5: Zeno

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daniel
Admin

PostSubject: Lecture #5: Zeno   Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Zeno!

(In which I make the astonishingly bad mistake of calling an argument "false".  Arguments can be valid or invalid, sound or unsound.  They cannot be false.  Mea culpa!)

Illustration by Matt Russell and Nick Gibb at www.dead-philosophers.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://platosacademy.forumotion.com
patrick.evans

PostSubject: Re: Lecture #5: Zeno   Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Not sure if this is the correct spot but i really like some of Zeno's paradoxes. The turtle and Achilles reminds me very much of a Mandelbrot set or a fractal.

How Zeno describes and infinite amount of sequences in a finite amount of space. Fractals are just a sequence repeated over and over constantly folding in on themselves.
I also appreciated that they are used in mortgages, " and thats why they take an infinite amount of time to pay off" also beginning to understand that as well, but more along the lines of student loans.
I sure do hope there is an infinite amount of space between now and the midterm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniel
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lecture #5: Zeno   Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:13 pm

I had a period of my undergrad career when I was obsessed with fractals and chaos theory. It's fun stuff.

Illustration by Matt Russell and Nick Gibb at www.dead-philosophers.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://platosacademy.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lecture #5: Zeno   

Back to top Go down

Lecture #5: Zeno
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plato's Academy :: Ancient Philosophy :: COURSE LECTURES-
Jump to: