Plato's Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plato's Academy

PHL 204

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lecture #5: Zeno

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Daniel
Admin
Daniel

Lecture #5: Zeno Empty
PostSubject: Lecture #5: Zeno   Lecture #5: Zeno EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Zeno!

(In which I make the astonishingly bad mistake of calling an argument "false".  Arguments can be valid or invalid, sound or unsound.  They cannot be false.  Mea culpa!)
Back to top Go down
https://platosacademy.forumotion.com
patrick.evans

patrick.evans

PostSubject: Re: Lecture #5: Zeno   Lecture #5: Zeno EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Not sure if this is the correct spot but i really like some of Zeno's paradoxes. The turtle and Achilles reminds me very much of a Mandelbrot set or a fractal.

How Zeno describes and infinite amount of sequences in a finite amount of space. Fractals are just a sequence repeated over and over constantly folding in on themselves.
I also appreciated that they are used in mortgages, " and thats why they take an infinite amount of time to pay off" also beginning to understand that as well, but more along the lines of student loans.
I sure do hope there is an infinite amount of space between now and the midterm.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Lecture #5: Zeno   Lecture #5: Zeno EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 3:13 pm

I had a period of my undergrad career when I was obsessed with fractals and chaos theory. It's fun stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://platosacademy.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lecture #5: Zeno   Lecture #5: Zeno Empty

Back to top Go down

Lecture #5: Zeno
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plato's Academy :: Ancient Philosophy :: COURSE LECTURES-
Jump to: